Archived May 31, 2015
The Directory has been updated with new names, email addresses and phone numbers. Check it out! Click on the "Residents Only" button on the left.
Annual assessment letters were mailed this week. Please send in your payment before February 28, 2015. The $63.00 assessment amount has not changed since last year. Your payment allows the Board of Directors to keep Southport looking good, which helps to maintain the value of our properties.
The Directory has been updated as several new families have moved into Southport in the last year. Click on the "Residents Only" button on the left and then, after logging in, click on "Directory." There will be a Board meeting this coming Monday evening, September 29, at 7:00 at the Kings Park Library Meeting Room.
This meeting will highlight the presentation of the results from an independent financial audit (we are in good shape), discussion of stream meetings with Fairfax County (see attached document), discussions with a county official for community services, and more. We will also review and approve minutes from the last Board Meeting and the Annual Meeting and will appoint officers for this year (no change from last year). All homeowners are welcome to attend the meeting.
Annual Yard Sale
The annual community yard sale is scheduled for Saturday, June 7, 2014. Participation is up to each homeowner. The Board of Directors will place an advertisement in the Washington Post--both the online and printer copies. We will also post signs on Lake Braddock Drive. You may place additional signs directing shoppers to your specific street.
The annual homeowners meeting will be held at Braddock Hall, Braddock District Supervisor's Office, 9002 Burke Lake Road, on Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 7:00 PM. Please plan to attend.
If are unable to attend, please sign and mail the proxy statement.
Congratulations to the Lake Braddock Bruins boys' varsity football team for an outstanding season!
View the minutes from the May 22, 2013 annual homeowners meeting.
View the minutes from the July 23, 2013 SHOA board meeting.
Archived March 28, 2014
The annual Southport Homeowners Association yard sale will be held on Saturday, June 8, 2013 from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm.
The annual homeowners association meeting will be held Wednesday, May 22, 2013, at 7 p.m. at Braddock Hall in the Kings Park Library, 900 Burke Lake Road, Burke. The membership will vote on three proposed amendments to the Bylaws and to the Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restriction. For more information, click on the following:
- Proposed agenda
- Three proposed amendments
- Print, sign and send in a proxy letter, especially if you do not plan to attend
- Read the draft minutes from last year's meeting.
The Board also extends its thanks in a letter to those who have volunteered to serve on the Architectural Review Board (ARB) for 2013.Nature Trail
The nature trail has been re-routed in two place in the common area between Lake Braddock Drive and Old Burke Lake Road behind Queen Victoria Court. Walking north between the middle and northernbridges, the trail has been moved left and away from the stream bank in two places. This is because erosion is undermining the top of the stream bank. Branches are in place to delineate the new trail way. The board intended to re-route the trail this weekend. However, the storm forced our hand.
Please stay on the new trail and off the old trail. Please tell your children to do the same.
Minutes from September 19, 2012 Board of Directors Meeting Click here to view the minutes.
Curb painting of street numbers on curbs fronting individual Southport homes began on Tueday, July 17. The work is expected to take 3-4 weeks. Please keep the curb around your current house number accessible to both facilitate the painting and prevent damage to your property.
See the minutes from the June 27, 2012 Board meeting . Download a zip file of the resolutions from the meeting here.
The SHOA board of directors will meet on Wednesday, June 27, 7 p.m., at the Kings Park Library meeting room. All homeowners are invited.
See the minutes from the 2012 Annual Homeowners meeting here.
Thanks to all those who attended Wednesday's annual SHOA meeting and to those who mailed in signed proxy statements. We had over 25 households represented at the meeting. Combined with 50 proxy statements, we had enough for a quorum. We were pleased that State Senator Dave Marsden and Braddock Supervisor John Cook could attend and speak about the happenings with state and local governments. More to follow.
Southport Community Yard Sale is scheduled for June 9, 2012, 8 a.m. - noon.
The SHOA Board of Directors is still looking for homeowners to fill the following positions: Treasurer, Secretary, and someone to process Disclosure Packets.
Read a draft copy of the minutes from the latest Board of Directors meeting. On the left side of this screen, click on "Residents Only," then click on "Docs/Financials." Log in with your Southport HOA account. Send account requests to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hit the "Green" button on the left to read about a great way to make Southport more green this spring.
- Got Stuff? . . . Community Yard Sale June 4, 2011, 8 a.m. - noon
- Your Neighbors Need You . . . Still!!
We're looking for a few good women and men to fill several critical SHOA positions: Treasurer, Secretary and Architectural Review Board member. Time commitments average generally less than 5 hours per month, to include reading emails and attending meetings. Please consider investing your time and talents in your community to make it a better place to live. Please contact Dave Martyn or Mike Abler (email@example.com).
Archived October 25, 2008
- We had to take down another tree. A tall tree that had been dead for a long time recently split and fell into a live tree. The tree is located behind some homes on Fox Lair, but is actually on Southport property. The fallen tree was threatening a home on Fox Lair. The board decided to have it cut down. Once down, the contractor cut up the tree and left the pieces in the wooded area. View the "after" photos here and here. The blue pin shows where the downed tree is. Byron Terrace is to the left of the blue pin.
View Larger Map
- Traffic signal being installed at Rolling Road and Parliament Drive. Sharon Bulova, the Braddock District Supervisor, has notified the SHOA Board that the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will install a traffic signal at the intersection of Rolling Road and Parliament Drive within the next 18 - 24 months.
- HOT Lanes Update. HOT Lanes Project Night Work Begins on Capital Beltway, Friday Night, July 25 Sunday Night, July 27. What/When: Weather permitting, VDOT will shut down two right lanes on the Capital Beltway, I-495 South, Outer Loop, for approximately 1/3 mile before and after the I-66 interchange. Two thru-lanes remain open to motorists. Below is the night work schedule if necessary for Sunday, July 27 --Info courtesy of virginiahotlanes.com
- Another downed tree. There was a downed tree hanging above the nature path near Lake Braddock Drive. The SHOA Board of Directors had it cut up so it no longer is spanning the path. The before photos arehere and here. The "after" photos are here and here
- Downed tree cleared. Many thanks to Duane Murphy and his son for clearing a tree that had fallen into the creek near the entrance of the storm drain.
Here's the before image:
Here's the after:
- Landscaping work completed. Many thanks to John Garrott, one of Southport's own residents, who completed a landscaping project near the entrance to the creek area on Lake Braddock for the benefit of all residents. Here's a photo of his work:
Archived September 29, 2008
- Revised minutes of annual meeting. Click here to open a PDF version of the document containing the minutes of the April 23, 2008 meeting.
- Help clean up the island!! On Saturday morning, May 17 at 9:00 am, join your neighbors to clean up the island that sits between Old Burke Lake and Burke Lake Roads on Lake Braddock Drive. Weeds have taken over the island and it looks especially bad after all the rain. See you there!
- Storm drain markings People will be in Southport this weekend attaching signs to the storm drains in the subdivision. The signs will state not to dump things down the drain, since the drains empty into our rivers. The Board appreciates your cooperation.
- 2007/2008 Financial Documents. Click here to see the 2007 financial report and the 2008 annual budget.
- High-occupancy toll lanes are coming to the Beltway Read more by clicking here.
- 2008 Annual Homeowners' Meeting. Thanks to all who attended the meeting. We had at least 35 people in attendance. Along with the 50+ proxy letters, we had more than enough for a quorum. Minutes to follow on this site. Click on the "Southport Officers" button on the left to view the list of the newly elected directors and other officers.
- LBSS PTSA Mulch Sale. The "mulchman" reports that the mulch sale raised about $18,000 for Lake Braddock Secondary School's All-night Grad Party for the class of 2008. Click here to see pictures.
is seeking artists or anyone who is an artist at heart… If you are an artist who enjoys interacting with other local artists, looking for opportunities to exhibit your work or seeking other art related activities, the Springfield Art Guild (SAG) might be what you are looking for. It is a non-profit group formed over 30 years ago that is interested in promoting fine art and fine crafts in our area.SAG has a monthly meeting, the 2nd Wednesday of every month, September through June, at the Grace Presbyterian Church, 7434 Bath St. Springfield, VA starting at 7:30pm. A short business meeting at 8:00pm is followed by a presentation, lecture, or demonstration by an artist. Painters, photographers, sculptors, digital artists and the public are encouraged to participate. If you are be interested in learning more about SAG we invite you to join us at the next SAG meeting. You can also visit our website for more information, a chance to see some of our members work, and find out about upcoming events in SAG’s monthly newsletter at the following address: http://www.springfieldartguild.com/index.html
- Thinking of improving your lot? Complete the form "Application for Lot Improvement" before making any improvements to the exterior of your property. Click on "Forms" at left.
- LBSS PTSA Mulch Sale. Here's a great way to spruce up Southport in the spring and help support a worthy cause. The Lake Braddock Secondary School's Parent-Teacher-Student Association (PTSA) will host the "All Night Graduation Party" for the Lake Braddock Secondary School Class of 2008 on June 17, 2008. Students rely on donations and proceeds from the mulch sale to provide nearly one-third of the financial support for this alcohol and drug free event. You can help by ordering mulch and/or making a tax deductible cash donation. The PTSA is offering Norfleet hardwood bark mulch in 3 cubic feet bags for the same price as last year: $4.50 per bag. Orders of 15 bags or more will be delivered to your home on Saturday or Sunday, March 29-30, 2008. Orders less than 15 bags must be picked up at the Lake Braddock Secondary School Parking Lot on Saturday, March 29, 2008
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or get information online by clicking here for more information.
- Congratulations to all who paid their SHOA assessments on time! The SHOA board is pleased to announce that all but 14 households have paid their annual assessments as of January 22, 2008. That means 206 people have already sent in the money. The money goes to support things such as maintenance around the creek and lawn maintenance in some of the common areas. Thanks to all who paid.
- Cleaning up the creek bed. Many thanks to Brett Miller, Matt Kerig and Eric Smedley for cleaning up a part of the creek bed and paths along Old Burke Lake Road. The three Lake Braddock Secondary School students pitched to gain credit in their Government class at the school. Thanks guys!
Archived April 27, 2008
- See pictures of Southport in the fall. Click here.
- Annual SHOA Assessments are due. All Southport homeowners will be receiving letters for the annual assessment for calendar year 2008. The amount is $60. You can avoid late fees by paying by December 31, 2007. Click here to view a PDF version of the letter.
Neighborhood Water Stewardship Program Update (26 August 2007)
- New Meetings Schedule. The Southport Gatherings will take place on Mondays. Here's an updated schedule.
- DATES (All meetings are from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m):
- October 29 – Topic: Water Conservation
- December 10 – Topic: Helping Out
- February – date to be determined by group: Reunion
- PLACE: Braddock Hall, 9002 Burke Lake Road, Burke, VA 22015 (Supervisor Bulova’s meeting room on east side of building where Kings Park Library is located – near Bank of America – enter from the east side.) “Google” on above address to see map.
- DATES (All meetings are from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m):
- Click here (PDF file) or contact Duane Murphy at email@example.com for more information
- This program assists attendees who want to take action together to help improve the health of our local streams, the Potomac River, and the Chesapeake Bay
- Additional information can also be obtained at the following web sites:
Annual Meeting held on May 9, 2007
- Get the minutes here (Requires log in)
Archived 23 Jan 2008
- Congratulations to the Lake Braddock Football Team on a successful season. The LBSS Boys' finished with an impressive 8-3 record.
- Curb painting has been completed in the neighborhood. The contractor should have finished painting everyone's house number on the curb in front of each house. The company that did the work is American Striping Co. of VA. Contact the HOA if you don't have a newly painted address number in front of your house. Click "Contact Us" for info.
- Downed tree cleared from path in wooded area. The Board hired a contractor to clean up a downed tree that was blocking the concrete path in Southport's wooded area along the creek. Click here for photos.
- Landscaping. The Board of Directors has hired a contractor, who has started to improve the landscaping in our subdivision. Lots of weeds have been killed in the island that's at the intersection of Lake Braddock Drive and Burke Lake Road.
The May 2007 Newsletter is out
- View it here.