Welcome to Southport--Located in Burke, VA
Keep up with the latest news from our County Supervisor, John Cook, by clicking here.
Latest News--Updated May 7, 2017
Our annual homeowners meeting will be held on Wednesday, May 31, 2017, in the Lake Braddock Secondary School Cafeteria (where we vote) at 7:00 p.m. All homeowners are greatly encouraged to attend. Here's additional information:
- Meeting Agenda. In addition to approval of last year's meeting minutes and election of new Board of Director, we have two speakers committed for the meeting. The County's stream restoration Project Manager will give us an overview of the restoration project dues to start later this year, and Senator Dave Marsden will offer some comments and take questions.
- Meeting Proxy. If you are not able to attend or not sure, please complete this proxy and either mail it to the association or give it to a Board member or someone who will attend the meeting. This will help ensure we meet the meeting quorum of 25% of homeowners represented. If you complete the proxy and end up attending the meeting, we will return your proxy to you.
- Please complete the contact form and either mail it to the association, bring it to the meeting, or delivery it to a Board member of someone who will attend the meeting. We believe our records are current but are completing an audit of our information just to be sure.
- The Association will advertise a community yard sale for Saturday, June 3, 2017, from 8:00 a.m. to noon. It is up to each homeowner to decide whether or not to participate. Additional signs in the neighborhood are certainly welcome.
- If you are planning to make improvements to your lot, please remember to complete an application for ARB review and approval. Information is available and application for improvement can be found on this website. Click on the "ARB" tab on the left side of the home page.
- As mentioned in a previous e-mail, the Association approved a budget line item to repaint everyone's house number on the curb. We are evaluating some initial quotes and seeking others. We will let you know when a contractor has been selected.
The annual membership meeting for the Southport Homeowners Association (SHOA) is on May 25, 2016 at 7pm at the Lake Braddock Secondary School's cafeteria. The Board of Directors has mailed notices to all homeowners. Included in the mail is a proxy statement form. Please fill out this form and mail it to the SHOA address even it you plan to attend the meeting.
The Resident Directory on the web site has been updated. Thanks to all the homeowners who sent back corrections and updates with the annual assessment payments.
By now every homeowner should have received a letter for the 2016 assessment for the Southport Homeowners Association (SHOA). The assessment for this year is $63.00 per household, and is due no later than February 28, 2016. The SHOA Board of Directors appreciates your cooperation in paying this assessment on time. These funds are used to maintain the common areas, pay for insurance, and other items to keep SHOA operating.
Fees for late payment of the annual assessment are as follows:
$5.00, if payment is received between March 1 and 31, 2016, for a total of $68.00
$10.00 for payments received on April 1, 2016 and later, for a total of $73.00
If you've sent in your payment already, thank you.
You will notice in the top right part of the home page, a "search" icon has been added. This allows users to search for anything on the SHOA web site.
Fairfax County Department of Public Works and Environmental Services has published a plan for the restoration of our creek. The plan is entitled "Pohick Creek Watershed Projects Concept Plan--Pohick Creek at Queen Victoria." Click here to read or download a copy of the plan.
From the SHOA Board of Directors:
Annual Meeting Notes. We had a great turnout for our Annual Meeting with 75
homeowners represented through direct participation and proxiex. Thanks for
helping make this meeting a success! We appreciate the many neighbors
involved and helping with the Association, and there are still opportunities
to get involved in large and even small ways. Let us know your interest!
A quick thanks to our newest volunteers Pete Wells (Parliamentarian) and
Chris Seidel (Disclosure Packets). The Board and Officers remain unchanged,
although we will need a Treasurer by the end of this summer!
Street Paving. The corner sidewalks are currently being replaced in advance
of the paving in order to meet ADA requirements. We do not yet have a
definitive schedule for VDOT paving. Individual homeowners will be notified
before their street will be paved, and we will let you know if the Association
receives any additional information.
Braddock Road Widening Project. There is a community meeting June 9, 2015 at Lake
Braddock Secondary School to discuss and present this project. While this is
just in the study phase, the project will likely proceed and could impact
traffic along Braddock Road from Guinea Road to the Beltway and possibly
include the building of a transit center along Braddock Road behind the Kings
Park Shopping Center. The Braddock Road Widening Project meeting begins at
7:00pm with an open house where we can ask questions. The formal presentations
begin at 7:30pm.
Burke Village Giant. The Giant at Burke Village is scheduled to close June 18, 2015 and
we have heard indirectly that an H-Mart may take over the lease. Several
neighbors have contacted Giant to keep the store and other neighbors are
lobbying other businesses, e.g., Trader Joes, to consider moving in. Whatever
your preference, grass roots efforts do carry some weight with businesses.
A message from Braddock District Supervisor John Cook's office:
Southport's roads are on this year’s VDOT schedule for repaving. VDOT is holding one – and only one – meeting with the public to give information and answer questions about the project in your neighborhood. The meeting will be Thursday evening, May 7 at the Kings Park ES and begins at 7 PM. Kings Park ES is located at 5400 Harrow Way, Springfield, VA 22151. If you have questions before the meeting, feel free to contact Ann Sharp at 703-425-9300.
|Stream Meeting – Tuesday, April 28, 2015
Supervisor Cook’s Sponsor’s Hall, at the Kings Park Library
The Fairfax County Stormwater Planning Division will present a status and plans for the County-funded stream renovation project. This affects the common area we share with Signal Hill and is our chance to learn the County’s plans and ask questions. Please plan to attend!
|Annual Homeowners Meeting – Wednesday, May 27, 2015
Kings Park Library Meeting Room
Our annual meeting is open to all homeowners. Please look for more information in the mail and on our website in the coming weeks. There is a minimum proxy / attendance requirement so everyone is strongly encouraged to participate.
|Community Yard Sale – Saturday, June 6, 2015, 8 a.m. to Noon
The Association will advertise our annual community yard sales scheduled for the morning of Saturday, June 6th. There is no commitment needed from you; just set up items for sale in your driveway or yard. You are welcome to place signs directing traffic to you street and home.
|Join our E-mail List
Are you getting our e-mails? If not, please send your e-mail address to firstname.lastname@example.org. Formal annual meeting and assessment notices are sent by regular USPS mail, but we use e-mail as a primary means of regularly communicating with homeowners. We do not send too many e-mail messages and we absolutely do not share homeowner e-mails with anyone else!
|Volunteer with the HOA
There are many ways for you to get involved with your homeowners association. Homeowners are able to run for a Board position every year. We are seeking a new treasurer. We would like someone to serve as parliamentarian at our meetings. You can join the Architectural Review Board, and you can help organize other events. We would like help with a newsletter. Please attend a couple of meetings to get a sense of our activities, or you can contact a Board member, Officer, ARB member, or other volunteer to learn more.